Thursday, October 1, 2015

Can True Beauty be Evident in My Life?

They say "Beauty is only skin deep". Who are they and where did  this phrase come from and what does it mean? I asked Dictionary.com and came up with this definition:

"Physical beauty is superficial and is not as important as a person's intellectual, emotional, and spiritual qualities."
"External attractiveness has no relation to goodness or essential quality. This maxim was first stated by Sir Thomas Overbury in his poem “A Wife” (1613): “All the carnall beauty of my wife is but skin-deep.“

The Word of God describes beauty as this:
 
Galatians 5:22-23 "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such there is no law." NIV

Galatians 5:24-26 "Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires. Since we live by the Spirit let us keep in step with the Spirit. Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying one another."

Is it possible for me, a sinner to be this good? Is the Spirit of God's Fruit evident in my life? Can I be beautiful on the inside, even if I'm marred on the outside? Does God expect me to be perfect?


We all have a sinful nature, even Christians. The Bible tells us we were born in sin, but we don't have to die in it.
"But I'm a good person. What do you mean I am a sinner? I don't hurt anyone, I don't lie, I don't cheat. I haven't committed murder, I'm not a drunk, how can this be?"

Galatians describes the sinful nature in the following scriptures:

Galatians 5:19-21 "The acts of the Sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity, debauchery; idolatry, and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions, and envy; drunkenness, orgies and the like.


The Bible tells us clearly in Galatians what a life lived in the Spirit of God is to look like and what it is not. During the next 31 days, we will look at both the Spirit Life and the Sinful Life.

Hopefully we (or I) will learn to become more beautiful from the inside out. I am excited to journey though the Word of God with you and become more like Christ each day.







1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to following you on this path. I want to be beautiful on the inside too!

    ReplyDelete