Friday, October 2, 2015

My Sinful Nature, Can I Overcome it?

 
Galatians 5: 16- 18 "So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature.
For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other, so that you do not do what you want. But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the Law."  NIV

 What is a sinful nature? As a human, I am prone to have corrupt desires. While I may not be an ax murder or adulteress, at times I am guilty of selfish sin. When I lash out at a driver who cut me off, I am really saying "hey you got in my space and I don't want to share". Or if I get angry because my husband ate the last Oreo, what I'm really saying is, "hey I wanted that cookie, it was mine". When a neighbor calls and asks for a favor and I tell her "I'm not available" because i don't want to miss my favorite show, I'm being selfish. If there is one thing people like me must learn it's this: It's not all about me!

Jesus gave us many great examples to follow regarding selfish desires.

Matthew 19:13-14  NIV "The little children were brought to Jesus for him to place his hands on them and pray for them. But the disciples rebuked those who brought them. Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these." 

Jesus didn't have to spend time with the children, he wanted to. He gave them time, he showed them love. Guilty am I, when my children want my time, and all I want is to run away and hide in my bubble bath! 
Why did the disciples feel Jesus did not want to be bothered with the children? Was it because they were not parents themselves and did not realize that children need love too? or was it that the didn't want to deal with sick, whiny kids with snotty noses and broken bones? Whatever the reason, Jesus sees the value of the children ans being far greater than many parents do these days. 

1John 5:1 "Everone who believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God. And everyone who loves the Father loves his child as well." NIV

That being said, I ask the question, "In what ways do you show your children that you love them?" 


 In Mark 5, Jesus felt the tug on his cloak and he inquired of the crowd as to who touched him. When he asked "Who touched my clothes?" his disciples questioned him. Jesus continued until he found the woman and he said to her "Daughter, your faith has healed you. Go in peace and be freed from your suffering."   

The disciples sinful nature would have been to just brush it off; they didn't have time to be bothered. But Jesus did, he took time and in the midst of chaos, he found her, he cared. Jesus didn't run when the crowds nearly smothered him, he stayed, prayed, and healed!

With this I'm reminded of the Good Samaritan. 
Luke 10:33 "But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him. He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, took him to an inn and took care of him." NIV

And the story goes on. Who have you helped get back up and on their feet lately? Who can you help today?

 1Corinthians 10:13 "No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will provide a way out so you can stand up under it."

God's word tells us that we all are tempted, but that no temptation is beyond our ability to overcome. God's grace provides the strength and the wisdom we need to resist the evil one and run from him. 

One day, not too long ago, I was sitting in my living room visiting with a friend and the conversation began going in a direction I did not want to go. I sat for a bit listening, while silently praying Lord, how can I change the subject without hurting her or being rude? Then suddenly another friend came to the door. God provided my way of escape!  I did not want to fall into the trap and say something I would later regret. All I could think was thank you Jesus as I ran to the door to let her in.

If you find yourself in situations that you know are not Godly, or that will cause you to fall, if you are having a hard time exiting, softly whisper "help" and your Lord God will provide your way out. It's his promise to those who love him. Do this often and the struggles of your sinful nature will be overcome.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment