Thursday, October 8, 2015

Patience and Gentleness are the Keys

Galatians 5:22-23 "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such there is no law." NIV

Patience? Wow, this is something many are afraid to ask God for. I've heard friends say, "I'm not asking God for patience, he will give me trials to teach me." I say, bring it on. If God has to give me situations to teach me patience, then I'm all for it. This is one area that I need help in!

Being the mother of a 3 1/2 year old, I admit, presents my lack of patience quite large. When we are 5 minutes late for an appointment, the last thing I want to hear as we are running out the door is "I have to go potty." And, when I call, "come brush your teeth" for the fifth time, I'm crying in Alto, if you know what I mean!

Everyday my patience is tried in one way or another. It's up to me to decide how I want to deal with it. And believe me, there are days I want to crawl under a rock.

Proverbs 25:15 "Through patience a ruler can be persuaded, a gentle tongue can break a bone."

When my little one is rolling on the floor, kicking and screaming; while foaming at the mouth, it's all I can do to remain patient. To be honest, sometimes I get on the floor and join the party. Just kidding, but I'd like to.

When he's acting out, I want to lash out myself. But luckily, God is showing me that harsh words can crush his spirit and make him feel unloved, just as, giving in can empower him and allow him to rule the roost. So what to say in these situations? Patience and gentleness are the keys. 

Proverbs 22:6 "Train a child in the way he should go; and when he is old he will not turn from it."

While being patient I realize he's just a little boy and soon he will grow out of these childish ways. As I gently talk to him about his misconduct (accompanied by correct discipline) I'm helping him realize where his boundaries are. It is my responsibility to teach him what God says about obedience, and show him ways to obey.

So, if we are 5 minutes late to our appointment, unless it's an attorney, what matters? Usually the first five minutes of most appointments are a waiting period anyway. It's really not worth getting all worked up about. Besides, I'd rather stop for potty break than change wet pants.

Patience is something that can be learned, but it takes practice. If you are afraid of the challenge, maybe you should work on one of the other fruits. But, if I were you I'd get this one out of the way now, it will make the others seem quite easy later.

As I learn patience, he's learning obedience; and 2 rights are definitely better, than any wrong!




No comments:

Post a Comment